Our mission is to prevent disease, assure a healthful environment, prolong life, and promote well being for the citizens of Medina County.
Promote, Protect and Prevent
Local Calls: 330-723-9688
4800 Ledgewood Drive, Medina, OH 44256

Establishing Paternity

If a father is named on your child’s birth certificate, the only way to remove or change him is through a local Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) (click here for Job and Family Services) or juvenile court. If paternity testing is done through CSEA, the person who is deemed to be the father will automatically be put on your child’s birth certificate and a new certificate will be issued. Your child’s name can be changed at this time free of charge. If there is no father on your child’s birth certificate, and paternity is not contested, you and your child’s father can come into our office and fill out a paternity affidavit. We will submit the affidavit and a new birth certificate will be generated. At this time, your child’s name can legally be changed. The paternity affidavit and/or name change is free of charge. This process can take up to a year before a new birth certificate is ready, depending on the circumstances.

If you have any questions, please feel free to give our office a call at 330-723-9511.

Watch a video about establishing paternity here.


Follow Us on Social Media - just click the icon.